Greetings, readers! This week in The Montana Conservationist: Louis Wertz of the Western Landowners Alliance…
Greetings, TMC readers! I hear that it’s finally stopped snowing in West Yellowstone, and you know what that means: summer is here! So take this edition of TMC and a nice, cool drink to your nearest umbrella-covered sitting spot, and get to reading:
- As you may have heard, things are shaking at MACD & SWCDM. This week, SWCDM officially launched our search for a new Director. Do you know someone who would be awesome in this job? Please share!
- The Yellowstone CD submitted a nice write up about a recent tour they helped host, touring RCPP projects & demonstrations in their area.
- MRCDC writes in about how the work of Conservation Districts on the Missouri River Recovery Implementation Committee is helping support agriculture and restore the mighty Mo.
- Missoula is now distributing “Clean Suds” car wash kits, to help keep contaminated car washing water out of storm drains, thanks to a water quality mini grant from SWCDM.
- High Country News reports that range fires get bigger every year, threatening sagebrush habitat and rural towns, a crisis that demands greater urgency and attention than its currently getting.
- And in similar news, the Reno Gazette Journal has a nice primer on how the unique nature of cheatgrass makes it such a management problem, and a huge fire risk.
- NACD testified to Congress this week about the importance of soil health, and some of the work CDs are doing to promote it.
- Finally, although reintroduction of captive bred pallid surgeon has been successful, scientists saving the species still face a number of hurdles.
All of that and a sprig of mint in this week’s Montana Conservationist: TMC 2019-06-27